Amazon delivery is a door-to-door product delivery service that’s driven by technology. In 2015, Amazon decided that instead of having their own delivery, they would use 3rd party logistics, primarily known as 3PL providers, to get items delivered to customers. It’s not like working at Amazon, but you’re contractually bound to follow their standards and other essential supply chain metrics.
Looking at some statistics, there are about 200 million Amazon prime users worldwide according to Statista. Some research has shown that users prefer Amazon prime due to its fast, free shipping. This alone proves how profitable it’ll be to be a capable Amazon delivery partner.
Becoming an Amazon delivery partner has its perks. For starters, Amazon delivers about 30 to 40 million packages per day, so there won’t be any shortage of work for you. Their reputation precedes them. You’ll get access to both their technology and logistics experience to aid you with this job.
Perks of being an Amazon Delivery Partner:
Before you decide to partner with Amazon or scroll away, take a look at the following points:
- Amazon mentions on their site that any logistics owner with 40 vans and 40 bikes can make profits as much as USD 70,000 – 30,000.
- The startup costs are reasonable too, with new partners needing to pay only USD 10,000 to get their business running.
- You’ll also have the opportunity to earn a revenue of up to USD 4.5 million annually.
- You’ll have access to their state-of-the-art technology, and years of logistics experience.
- Amazon values leadership capabilities and team management. Remember they expect you to work 24/7 for almost the whole year, so a well-coordinated team is essential.
How to Apply for Amazon’s Delivery Partner Program?
The steps to get registered as an Amazon DSP are quite easy. We’ve compiled them below:
- Your first step would be to create an account. A desktop is recommended for this process. Open their website
- Now create a fresh new account that’s not associated with another amazon delivery partner account or amazon flex account. This account will serve as the communication medium between you and Amazon.
- After that, you’ll be required to fill an application. It’ll have questions regarding work history, education, and financial information to determine eligibility for the program. The estimated time to fill the application is 2-3 hours.
- After that, it’s all a waiting game. When future opportunities arise, Amazon will reach out to you with additional steps that you need to do to get selected as a delivery partner. Note that not everyone can partner with Amazon for delivery. They have only a limited number of slots available but they are always expanding.
- Once the application is accepted, there’s usually a screening process where you will be physically invited. After that, a two-week-long hands-on training will be provided before you can officially begin your work.
How to Apply for Amazon Flex?
With the rising popularity of Amazon Flex, we decided to cover the steps on how to apply for it in your article.
- Download the Amazon Flex app from any app store.
- Make an account, and pass a questionnaire regarding your background. Only do this if you live in any of the cities under flex’s coverage.
- You’re all set! Now you can look for delivery opportunities in your area, and filter them by blocks. You can also set your status as available in-app to get instant offers. Any delivery offer will have the estimated earnings listed.
- You can use the app’s built-in navigation system to pick up deliveries and drop them at designated locations. It’s very simple and intuitive.
- Payments are made via direct deposits, and you can track your payments inside the app.
What Amazon looks for in their Logistics Partners:
Amazon has high standards and strict guidelines to follow for maximum customer satisfaction. If you want to be their delivery partner, you need to be able to put up with the following criteria:
- You should be licensed with Automotive and Commercial insurance, and cargo legal liability
- Skilled and experienced drivers should be there with you, with policies for proper work environments.
- You need to own cargo vehicles in proper condition with a carrying capacity of at least 200 cubic feet for goods. Registered commercial vans like Tata ace or Maruti Omni would do. Regarding two-wheelers, motorcycles from any brand should work. Open bed vans aren’t eligible.
- Amazon wants you to be a customer-obsessed individual who loves rapidly changing workplace environments and developing well-coordinated and efficient teams.
- Good social skills and teamwork should be what you strive for, as you’ll be required to work with 60-100 delivery associates at a given time.
- You should have printers, computers, an internet connection, as well as a 200-300 sq. feet area in a prime location of the city.
What Amazon Provides to its Delivery Partners?
Once you’ve met necessary requirements, you will be in for the big haul! Amazon will help you get started and know the ways of this job. Amazon provides the following expansive resources to its logistics partners.
- Amazon provides exclusive deals and insurances to their delivery partners.
- Amazon provides two weeks of hands-on training. Starting with one week of online training, they take you to fieldwork in the second week under the guidance of a community of existing drivers and business owners to familiarize you with the ins and outs of this work.
- You will have access to their comprehensive tools, technologies, and inking services.
- On-demand support is offered as well. You’ll have access to a comprehensive manual, driver assistance for on-road issues, and a business coach to help you out with issues.
- 20 years of logistics experience will be at your fingertips!
Types of Amazon Logistics Partnership you can apply for :
There’s more than one way you can partner with Amazon. Below we’ve provided two different ways you can earn by providing logistics services to Amazon.
- Amazon Logistics:
This is a standard delivery service, shipping items to customers within a given amount of time. Amazon Logistics offers 5-day delivery services as well as same-day delivery in some specific places.
For a time, Amazon Logistics was so good that they competed with worldwide renowned delivery services like Blue Dart and FedEx.
- Amazon Flex Services:
Amazon has taken this new initiative to provide an opportunity for people to earn amounts starting from USD 108 in a 4 hour sedan drive. These services are currently available in a select few countries, including US, Canada, the UK, Germany and Singapore. According to them, you as an independent delivery partner will need to deliver goods on their behalf each day to earn a set amount of money.
Anyone above the age of 18 can join this program. Since there is no full-time commitment in it, students, working adults, or even housewives can avail this opportunity for some extra cash and/or kill some time doing something productive.
You’ll be given a block to work in and there’s no stress and commitment. If you have the time, you can make some deliveries for them and then again get back to your life.
Amazon Logistics and Sellers: A Symbiotic Relationship:
A customer’s opinion about their seller is highly influenced by the shipping time and delivery expectations. Customers are more likely to give positive reviews if the product is delivered on time and in proper condition.
So, to make that possible, delivery partners need to work around the clock to deliver products on time with good packaging. Late deliveries can result in low ratings and ruin customer retention, as they might switch to more punctual sellers.
Since a seller cannot pick a delivery partner and is instead randomly assigned one by Amazon, each delivery partner needs to do their job as well as they can for the proper working of this network.
How to ensure Timely Deliveries?
Once you’ve grown a big enough business, it’s hard to keep track of all the deliveries manually. No matter how good of an accountant you hire, there’s always room for human error.
That’s where certain apps come in. DispatchTrack, Onfleet, etc are some of the apps that can help you out with this. They are available for computers, so you can sign up for one to have much better control over the timely delivery of products.
Amazon, through its years of work on setting up as an e-commerce giant, has also created a large network of shipping companies to deliver their products all over the globe at minimal costs. It’s high time for you to join the business if you meet the criteria. The business is at its peak now, so it’ll be the most profitable to apply for it now.
- How much do Amazon delivery partners make?
The range of earnings as an amazon DSP is between USD 75,000 and 300,000 annually.
- How much do Amazon delivery van owners make?
In the US, amazon van owners make about USD 38,000 annually.
- How much does it cost to start an Amazon delivery business?
You can become an amazon DSP with an investment of as little as USD 10,000.